Friday 24 August 2007

Lost, Stolen or Strayed

King John put up a notice,"LOST or STOLEN or STRAYED! JAMES JAMES MORRISON'S MOTHER SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MISLAID. LAST SEEN WANDERING VAGUELY:QUITE OF HER OWN ACCORD, SHE TRIED TO GET DOWN TO THE END OF THE TOWN -FORTY SHILLINGS REWARD!" James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George DuPree

Bunny is missing! Yesterday when we got off the bus in the pouring rain, somehow Bunny didn't come with us. I'm hoping and hoping that he's going to be in the lost property collection.

I haven't told Ari yet, though he has been asking and asking for Bunny. We just keep putting him off. I feel so anxious, my tummy turned into knots. This is my little boy's special friend. He sleeps with him, eats dinner together, plays hide-n-seek, keeps him company when Ari is tired or grumpy or sad.

When Bunny first came into our lives, when Ari was only a few months old, I wasn't too fussed either way on this funny little blanket with a bunny head stitched in the centre of it. But, Ari became attached and has carried Bunny everywhere with him since. The little creature has suckled ears and paws, his head fell off at one stage, his ears are threadbare, he's grey rather than white. But, he's loved, so so loved. And he really is a part of Ari's daily life.

Ari always talks about him not being real, but he includes him into the rituals that he's learning. Bunny learnt to toilet train, Bunny has breast milk (mine or Ari's, he's not fussy), he has day-time naps, eats veges + fruit, gets in trouble for doing cheeky things. Lately Ari has been blaming Bunny for a few things - using his little paws to do the dirty work.

I love Bunny. I love the way Ari loves him. I have fed, bathed, clothed this creature (yes, nappies on the blanket body are difficult - but we still tried).

I remember him being on the bus seat curled in Ari's hand. Ari asleep on the seat beside me, Mishi asleep in the sling. Raining raining. The bus driver carried Ari off the bus for me and put him the the pram. I don't remember seeing or not seeing Bunny in Ari's sleeping hand. I was too concerned with covering two sleepy creatures before the rain soaked us all. Isn't is sometimes so annoying (sometimes it is wonderful), the way you see things and just file them away somewhere in your brain. At the time you don't think too much about it, but later its clear and so important. You remember it perfectly - like you remember Bunny not coming off the bus!

Sam and his Dad went out at 9pm last night in the rain searching between the bus stop and the front door. Again this morning Sam rode his bike looking in the drains, curbs - did Bunny wash down the gushing gutters to the ocean.....

Lost, Stolen or Strayed..... Please come home Bunny.

If Bunny is actually lost, please tell me - help me - what will I do to console my little one? Does anyone have any ideas, hints, thoughts on what would be the best thing to do, the best way to break the news. Should I let him choose another baby to have, or make him another something (similar), or should we have a little farewell party (a funeral?) for Bunny. And say, well Ari's almost three and doesn't need a little friend. I don't think I want to do this, I always wanted to let him be ready to give up Bunny - and if he never did, then that is not an issue for me at all.

1 comment:

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...