Monday 22 July 2013

always with the crochet :: beautiful v useful


Last week I sent these small crochet doilies off to their 'owner'. I wrote about it here. And with that project gone, I can move onto new and different crochet works. But the strange thing is, this pattern is now (finally) stuck in my head and I want to stitch this again and again. Ah ha - the mind is a funny thing. 

Anyway, I have some important pieces I need to get made and posted, for an Instagram Swap I organised. Life took over, and I haven't been able to make the pieces I want. I'm guessing my swap partners will receive some doilies and such. 

While I love making doilies and crochet covered stones, I keep asking myself the "importance" of them. Usually I have a thought/feeling/inclination to produce.make.create practical things. I question myself on why I'm adding more and more to this world of things that aren't practical and useful. I remind myself often of this quote; which I believe rings true for myself (and probably for many of you also):
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" William Morris

So, while my crochet stones may not be useful (except as little paper weights), they are indeed beautiful. Thank you William for your words.

Having said that - I am enjoying working on crochet bowls and vessels and having them become useful (and beautiful) things to hold the useless yet beautiful items.

* I gather a collection of crochet inspiration on my Pinterest board, if you're in need of some hookery. 

3 comments:

  1. I think they are important. The feelings you get while you are making them, their beauty and aesthetic are all very useful and important indeed. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the crocheting Lisa's pattern is probably like a moving meditation for you now. I think the aesthetic beauty of what you create is incredibly important. Keep doing more of what makes you happy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean Ellie. I find that I need to crochet to keep happy... (does that sound weird?) I guess I just need to have a project on the go, something to do with my hands in the evening. I'm constantly looking for projects or scheming ideas so that I'm not just wasting wool but actually making something useful. That they can be beautiful things for the sake of it is fine by me :) Your crochet stones are gorgeous. Kx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...