Monday 10 May 2010

sewing clothes week

I've seen a bit of a theme, these past weeks, of people getting ready for Elsie Marley's Kids Clothes Week. I didn't get my name on the list in time; but I've decided that I'm going to try and join in anyway. 
The loose "rules" are to spend at least one hour each day, this week, on sewing clothes for kids. It doesn't have to be new fabric or patterns or projects - can be things like repairing or finishing long-overdue WIPs.
I'm really glad to have this basic structure to follow. Because I sew for my business, I've long been putting off my kids' requests for something for them. I keep saying not this week, not now, after the market darling. Well, it's after the market now (until the next one!), so I'm promising at least 1 - 2 new items for each kid this week. 
Last week Mishi looked through some pattern books, to see what she would like best. Of course lovely dresses are always on her list, but i think she also needs some little shorts or undies or something (always a battle to get her to cover her nether regions when we go out!). And Ari needs some nice pants and shorts - most of his wardrobe is made up of hand-me-downs in beige and grey. 
The red riding hood cape will be finished - still haven't chosen a lining fabric, though. 
I'll work out a making list as I go, I think. I don't want to stress myself out, or plan more than I know I will achieve. Life keeps getting in the way!
** The little torn scraps of paper are for her to use as bookmarks for the clothes she likes best. It was a fantastic way to keep her entertained for a good long time, while I got some other work done. 
** Books in the pile are: Seams To Me; Sewing Clothes Kids Love; Sew Liberated; and a few Japanese ones that I bought from Kinokuniya last year, and are currently in my downstairs sewing room (I can't recall their names / ISBN, so no linking as I'm too lazy to walk all the way down and then back up..... ha. That's lazy, ha! I'll link to let you know, once I use them - as some very good patterns).
** Fabrics are the cherry miniwale cord for Red Riding Hood Cape, some blue+white stripes I've had in my stash forever, which Mishi always pulls out {best sew her something with it, hey!}, Kokka Ballerinas, and Michael Miller Flower Fairies. {Sylve + I used to love the flower fairy stories when we were girls, and these are beautiful representations, some with glitter}. (Both were bought on sale at my local-ish quilting shop, unfortunately there was too much end-of-long-day-tired-whinging the second time we went and tried to get some more on-sale fabric for Ari).

3 comments:

  1. It's going to be so much fun seeing what others are doing this week! Your books look so interesting - I actually went to buy the 'Clothes Kids Love' the other day but it's not readily available, I think it must be going into it's next printing? I'll just have to wait :) Hazel would loooooove those fairy and ballerina fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. But really, dropping in to say, Happy Mother's Day!

    And I have been meaning to tell you how great your blog has become over the last year. I think it has been in bits and pieces (or I've been blind) but every time I come it is more lovely, if that is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOh Great!!Someone looks super excited of what is coming up!!:)xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...