Monday 28 March 2011

{collecting} fuyu


this beautiful tree sits quietly in our garden. 
going through it's seasonal changes moment by moment.
providing cooling shade during the hot summer months.
loosing it's leaves to allow sunlight for winter.

it's autumn now.
the leaves are turning.
the colours changing.
the fruit.
oh the fruit. 

we sit at our kitchen table 
and spot bright orange balls of colour 
amongst the leaves.
some too high to reach. 
left to the birds.
 {Sam's going to hate me putting this photo up, but I do think it's fuzzy enough to be ok? Plus, I just wanted you to know the fruit picking help I have around here!! The fuzzy in the centre of the photo is my camera being cold in the humid/cool/wetish mornings around here; she takes a while to warm herself up. Some of the fuzzy photos are turning out with a beautiful moodiness.}


We got out our ladder and climbed up to pluck the firm round fruits from the branch. Persimmons. This is the variety known as fuyu. Can be eaten firm, or soften more. None of us here in this house actually like persimmons; but I must admit that I have been thinking of the other variety (known as hachiya), which is squidgy and stringy, and not at all what I like to put in my mouth. So - perhaps I really do need to retry this fruit. Not now, though. These few we collected we taken this weekend past to Grandma's house (Sam's mum), as she does really like them a whole lot. I hope she gobbled them up with a smile on her face!

If you happen to have a glut of persimmons, you could make them into a jam, I believe. But we had only a few fruits on the whole tree, and even less that we could reach with our ladder. 

This tree will turn from green to yellow to orange over the next few days and weeks. Even now as I look, I can see more yellow leaves on the bigger tree, and the little tree has less leaves than last week. For some strange reason, the little/younger tree has shown it's colour earlier; Sam told me he saw the other day a big gust of wind come along and shake a big handful of leaves from the little tree. Isn't that a lovely little image to this about. {Have you read this book? We love it, a good one to add to your Autumn reading list.}





3 comments:

  1. Third pic from the bottom - glorious golden Autumn, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever had a persimmon, what are they like? They are certainly beautiful to look at!

    The picture of Sam is great, he should be really pleased with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this post made me nostalgic - i can feel the end of summer feelings . . . even though, over here, i'm waiting for spring and for summer - for the fresh green, even as your greens fade to yellow and orange and brown . . .

    i'm thinking of you missing your mum.

    i'm thinking of you in the sun, in the ocean, in the car with the wind in your hair . . . it's good to think of another - another person, another season, another place, another time . . . sometimes, thinking about another lets me appreciate here and now all the more.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...