Tuesday 21 October 2008

remains of the day


We had quite a lovely day today. A lot of spur of the moment doings.
:: a nice little stop at a cafe, after dropping Sam off at his brother's place for the day; kids were well behaved, we sat and chatted and played with the cafe toys (plastic horses and transformers and noise making things that we don't have at home!).
:: had a look in a lovely shop - that is styled quite beautifully. A lot of pieces in there that both the kids and I wanted to take home. And I wish I'd had my camera to take a photo of Mishi putting her hands in her pockets and walking around 'looking, not touching' for a matter of moments only.
:: Ari and me doing a little ribbon painting (more on this later), which lead on to some beautiful painting from all three of us.
:: Pleasant picnic lunch in the loungeroom. A vege stick platter of all "C" veges (cucumber, celery, carrot, capsicum), which lead to some letter and word talking.
:: Cake making with minimal fuss and bickering. Mishi peeled and mashed all the bananas without assistance from me, with much concentration and focus on her job. Ari measured and broke eggs and tasted and turned the mixer on and off - he really is a great baker who knows the process.
:: A glorious afternoon rainstorm. Dancing on the front porch, watching the lighting and listening to the thunder, and watching the rain splatter on the roofs around us. Dancing in the rain, which lead to much excitable dancing in the house.
:: The afternoon sun shining through the rain, and onto the kids eating their cake, and waiting for Daddy to come home.
:: Ari seeing hail for the first time. Tiny little pieces that melted almost as you touched them. Little spots of ice jumping down the stairs and in the front yard.
:: And then, for me, a little nap as I put the kids to bed. Lying and giving Mish her milk, I seem to slip into sleep without noticing, and wake up hours later not quite ready for bed.

Goodnight xx

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:24 pm

    Bloody Hell, you been busy! Just read this one and see there are (at least) two others below I've not read. Beautiful images El, beautiful words. You know that all. Somehow of all of us you've kept that excitement and wonder, that kids have, at seeing things in the world and reimagining them each time. I love it and I'm a little jealous, or envious of it or something, because all I seem to see is jadedness and the diabolical side and how good something should have been except for my own subtle mindf***. Earlier this week Morris Lurie was reading a bit out of his new (ly published but written 16 years ago) book, about his daughter committing suicide. He told a story, prefacing it saying he has a reputation for finding money, then recounting how he had walked along with his daughter in the dark and she asked if he ever found money in the dark, how he said 'there', and sure enough there was a 50 dollar note. He described it as an activity that required them both. His daughter's expectation, him fulfilling that expectation. I don't know why I've just written that down but the story was bleak and beautiful. This week driving home I saw a baby echidna cross the road. So small it would have fit in the cup of my hands.

    Thanks for your blogs el.
    T

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...