Monday 18 May 2009

the wisdom of the owl-lets

I haven't told you yet, have I, that I'm officially a Brown Owl.
This is super-duper exciting, fantabulous. Membership to this crafty, fun and lovely group is pretty limited. Started by the ever crafty mother owl herself, Pip, from Meet Me at Mikes.
My first meeting was yesterday. A full three hours of crafting and chatting and feeling at ease with all these women who I didn't previously know (apart from their blogs).Thank you so much to Rebecca and Bec for teaching me the basics of crochet. Even though you tried really hard, I haven't quite mastered the art of the granny square. Sylve + I both ended up making flowery curvy waving circle things - very pretty, but not granny squares.
One thing I like about crochet is that it's really easy to unravel, and redo. You don't feel so terrible sitting there pulling it apart (not tedious like using a quick-un pick when you sew a seam wrong). Well, last night I sat on the couch and did a fair bit of unravelling and re-working. I decided that there are only so many times I can attempt something in one night, so I decided to make some round coasters instead of granny squares. (I did hear many girls talking yesterday, saying that grannies are hard to make, so I don't feel totally useless). I made this coaster pattern up, as I went along. And happily can say that I replicated it (almost) for the second one I made. I'm thinking they could cute stitched into a blanket or even a purse. The ideas are flowing.Sam has requested me to make him a beanie. For this Winter. Can anyone lead to an easy pattern for making a male-style beanie. He wants it to have a brim, but I think that's out of the question.
My yarn is a beautiful organic Australian wool, spun in New Zealand, and dyed with low-impact, metal-free dyes. It's so soft and easy to use. Doesn't have a lot of extra fluff. And the colours are really pretty. I'm currently using the grapefruit moon, which is a natural white. Sylve + I got ours from Tangled Yarns (via a story in MAP magazine - Sylve went to school with the girl who drew that cover pic!).

8 comments:

  1. It was lovely to meet you yesterday, your coasters look so even, neat and delicate!

    There is a very cool crochet pattern for a beanie with a brim here for $4.00.

    http://www.lulu.com/content/e-book/crochet-pattern---adult-cable-motif-beanie-with-brim/1713559

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed ! Your coasters look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you on Ravelry? There are a gazillion wonderful free beanie patterns over there.

    Lovely coasters :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i think they are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool to be in such an awesome club.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bitsofsunshine.typepad.com11:18 am

    what pretty coasters! love them!

    thanks for visiting me again!

    have a lovely evening - or morning where you are, i suppose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I can't believe how gorgeous these are! I like how you finished the edges and overcame the curving, nice one. If you make a beanie maybe you can teach me at the next meeting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your coasters look gorgeous!

    If you google 'happy hooker beanie' you'll find a super simple pattern that works up really quickly. Once you've made this one you can change it around a bit to suit yourself :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your words and thoughts. I do so appreciate each and every visitor to my blog. While I try hard to reply to your comment, it often doesn't quite happen..... know that I'm sending you a thoughtful thanks xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...